Monday, January 16, 2012

Genesis: Chapter Twelve


To Abram the Lord God did speak
And told him he was someone unique
Leave from your father’s house and his land
Let yourself be guided by my mighty hand

I will make you into a nation that is great
This is my doing this is not fate
I will bless you; great will be your name,
For I will be the author of your glory and fame
You will be a blessing to others as well
I will bless those who bless you that I can tell,
And I will curse those who curse you, for them not so swell
But all of the people on this earth
Will be blessed through you, making you someone of extreme worth

So Abram packed up and then he departed
As the Lord told him, to parts by Abram uncharted
His nephew Lot came along for the ride
Walking with him by his side
When Abram left Haran he was seventy and five
But he was still very much alive
He took his wife Sarai, and his nephew Lot
He also took all his possessions to the last watering pot
And all the people in Haran he had acquired
They were for his journey definitely required
To Canaan they set out on their “drive.”
And Canaan is where they would arrive

Abram travelled throughout the land
As far as the great tree of Moreh at Shechem which was grand
At that time the Canaanites were in the land
From them you would not expect a helping hand
God spoke to Abram and he said to your offspring I will give this land
He built an altar to the Lord right there in the sand
And called upon the name of the Lord with the passion of a jazz band

Then towards the Negev did Abram head
This is where he was led

Now about this time there was a famine throughout the land
Abram went to Egypt to reside for a bit because the famine had dealt him a rough hand
It across the land did expand, and for many a mile it had spanned
As he got to Egypt’s borders, he looked upon Sarai his wife
Knew she was a hottie, and was afraid for his life
So he said to her, these Egyptians will kill me if they know that you are my wife
But because of you they will spare my life
So tell them you are my sister, and not my wife
And then because of you, they will spare my life

When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians for Sarai found they had a soft spot
They thought she was beautiful, totally hot
And Pharaoh’s officials well to Pharaoh they praised her a lot
Until they put into action their plot
And into the palace Sarai they did slot
For her sake they treated Abram as if he were a sire
And sheep, cows, camels, donkeys, and servants did Abram acquire

Because Sarai was placed to be Pharaoh’s spouse
The Lord did inflict diseases on Pharaoh and his entire house
Pharaoh said to Abram, what’s going down, this aint grouse
Why did you tell me she’s my sister and make me a louse
I took her, so that I could make her my spouse,
Now take her, and nick off, please depart
And Pharaoh gave orders to help Abram get a kick-start
They packed him up, and sent him off right quick smart
Quicker than you could shoot a dart
It really was a finely executed piece of fine art

No comments:

Post a Comment